6/16/09

What's In A Name?


You have your darkies who swear to god that even in a million years they don’t aspire to be white. Then you have your Michael Jackson type who from the moment they were born always wanted to be white. I have often asked what’s the point of darkies wanting to be whites but when it’s time to actually do it the first thing they want to change is the colour of their skin. It’s melanin at work people – stop it.

Now the next step in that ambition to be white came with some darkies adopting what they call white names. Okay they call them christen names. However recently when I did my research into white people’s names I discovered that 80% of what darkies call English names do not exist in the white birth register.

What I’m talking about here is names like Given, Gift, Beauty, Linkie, Cyanide, Sinias, Rockerfeller, Goodenough, Believe etc. what makes a parent decide to call their beautiful daughter Beauty still beats me, same with all the other names.

First of all Given means something else in English, Gift is a present, Cyanide is poison, Rockerfeller is a surname of the a wealthy American family – not a name. I don’t even want to go into Goodenough.

White people have names like Elvis, Brad, Calvin, Eric, Patrick, Hank, Brett, Roger which if you asked them what they mean they can tell you more even what language it was – Irish, Scottish, Welsh or English.

So, my daughter does not have an English name but a vernacular one that means something else. And none of my future kids will have names that don’t mean anything. That’s until we have white people with names like Sibusiso, Mzwandile, Lethabo, Thabang, Neo etc.

That’s my humble contribution to June 16. Let’s change the attitude comrades!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awuleth' uMshini Wami, khuluma silalele, "