7/12/09

Countdown to QUIT!

In recent days to say that I have been lazy is an understatement, actually since I made my decision to retire early I have been on a retirement mode and am already winding down. I am no longer really sending news stories like I used to do say, ten or eleven years ago. I am no longer seeing the need to go online in search of opportunities as I used to. Actually I have gone back to a simple life, the life before the hustle took control of me.

Recently I have been assuring my boys that all I need is R4 million and I would retire a happy man. I will cease all the paperchase and leave others to take it further. I would simply buy that crib by the hill, that ultra-safe car, that nice swimming pool and then invest R2 million. Then I will spend the rest of my life pursuing my true love - which is art. I will spend hours on end perfecting my drawings, poetry, guitar playing and becoming a hortoculturalist. I look at Khaphela in Generations and think, wow! sonofabitch is having a good time.

My plan is to retire early, when I hit forty I want to be out of here. I simply have no ambition to work beyond forty. And when I was enticed with an offer to go into business with some dude recently I felt I was being pulled back, I have been in that situation where the rand is my shephered and I managed to make quite a tidy income and good investments and am now on a countdown to quit.

One of my media buddies told me that he had a rumour that I wanted to start a newspaper and all I could tell him was that such a thought never crossed my mind. I harbour no such ambitions, I have no time to run a newsroom. I told him that I am contemplating retiring soon and not running empires. I have run my race and there's nothing new left for me in this race.

Moral of the post; work hard in your early years to retire early. I have a feeling I'm gonna be bored chilling all alone at Clifton sipping cappuccino. Hola if you feel me!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous13/7/09 08:56

    I feel you and understand what you are talking about.I have been telling myself that I want to retire when I'm 45 and I hope to hold myself to that idea.You have made me think a bit and revisit all of my plans and ambitions.

    Tumelo "100% Lepulana" Malele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure,we should stop this thing of aspiring to work forever. Our forefathers and fathers had to retire at 65 because apartheid wanted to milk them for what it's worth. We shouldn't make them our role models when it comes to selling our labour forever, we should sell and pause to count the spoils, if they are fine let's quit. You have twenty years to 65, so if at 45 you have R2.5 million, it means you can live for R10000, 00 every month until you are 65, but if you make good investments it means you can live off that for life, R10000, 00 will be your interest on investment of a portion of the money which means you won't even touch it for life

    ReplyDelete

Awuleth' uMshini Wami, khuluma silalele, "