4/2/09

Y Magazine Is Dead - The Death Certificate

PS*
I have received inspiring feedback on this piece from Kojo Baffoe (now editor of Blaque magazine) and Anonymous which helped me shape it (the original Y Mag is Dead - An Eulogy and Obituary feature) further. It's always welcome when as writers and commentators we see the need to feed off each other and highlight some discrepancies with any picture that might be projected to the public. I once again should emphasize that this is not an attack on any person but a tongue in cheek eulogy of YMag. I'm indeed saddened by its impending demise and before anyone accuses me of aspiring to open my own mag, please a blog is doing it for now because it never gets stuck on the shelves. Like Anonymous said, I would have loved to have a mag but I don't have the resources to do it, that's why I'm publishing 'a free blog' because blogs are free everywhere. However I used to have a website that I was paying for, which I abandoned due to lack of immediacy and my IT disabilities (I can't programme). And it's not about lack of money but information, since we don't have to bring into a review issues of money. There's an organisation called MDDA (Media Development and Diversity Agency), which does not fund creation of blogs but mags. I do empathise with the reasons communicated to me for the demise of such a beautiful brand.
And to Bra Kojo, thanks for the feedback. Let's remember that the first thing Paul Wolfowitz did when he got to the World Bank was to transfer his girlfriend to the State Department, to put to rest any suspisions of nepotism in the future. Maybe our editor friends should do the same to protect the reputations of his writer friends. I love Kojo's writings and this is not meant as an attack on his personality. The same way I love Napo's acting and writing.
One luv comrades. Let's grow together.
This is an except taken from a post I wrote a few years ago which ruffled too many feathers. Go read for yourself on Kasiekulture and read the actual obituary on the same Kasiekulture blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awuleth' uMshini Wami, khuluma silalele, "