3/18/09

Today I Woke Up


Yesterday I woke up to the news of the mayor of my small poor municipality Milton Jan Moreme going to court to face charges of murder. Yesterday I woke up to hundreds of his Afrikan National Congress fans in t-shirts bearing the face of party president Jacob Zuma waiting for buses to go and support him on his woes. Yesterday I woke up to news that he was going to trial in Nelspruit but has already booked a venue for his victory party on Friday. Yesterday I woke up to ANC cadres complaining that they are being used as cannon fodder in one man's battle against the elements. Yesterday, I woke up to a South Afrika I would love to live in where suspects face the full might of the law and answer for their accusers.

Yesterday I also woke up to the news that ANC president Jacob Zuma's sixteen charges might be dropped by the National Prosecuting Authority. Yesterday I woke up to Mo Shaik, the brother of convicted and recently released on a dodgy medical parole Shabir Shaik telling students in Pretoria that the NPA will drop charges. Yesterday I woke up to a South Afrika suddenly becoming what I didn't want to experience. Yesterday I remembered what Humanity said last week that what's the point of voting believing that your vote will give you a voice when your voice is muted as long as no one is listening.

Today I woke up to a quiet tranquil South Afrika which survived the events of yesterday. Today I woke up to a South Afrika where I can tend for my garden and water my flowers and laws and listen to the birds singing. Today I woke up to a different South Afrika, which is different from yours because overnight I just divorced myself from your reality and am now living in my skull. Today, South Afrika as it exists for you doesn't exist for me - because today I liberated myself and screamed 'fuck politics!'

PS; Saturday, my fresh-out-of-jail mayor is slaughtering four beasts to celebrate while two familes commemorate the deaths of their sons.

On April 22 Jacob Zuma becomes the President of South Afrika. Funny huh!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Awuleth' uMshini Wami, khuluma silalele, "